Reporting to: Programs Director & Managing Attorney
Location: Washington, D.C.
Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights seeks an Advocacy Officer in the International Advocacy & Litigation program to drive the organization’s international human rights advocacy and campaign strategies to protect civic space and social inclusion throughout the world, with a specific priority in Asia.
International Advocacy & Litigation Program:
Our team of lawyers and issue experts collaborate with partners around the world to create lasting legal change. Through legal advocacy, we have freed political prisoners, defended the rule of law in autocratic regimes and amplified the voices of human rights defenders in the United States and abroad. We present the annual Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award, which recognizes a courageous individual whose activism reflects Robert Kennedy’s belief that every individual can make a difference. The award’s recipients enter multi-year partnerships with Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, anchoring our advocacy work and strengthening the activists’ ability to make gentler the life of the world.
- Serve as the organization’s primary point of contact for human rights defenders and advocacy partners in Asia;
- Develop and implement advocacy and campaign strategies in furtherance of RFK Human Rights’ advocacy and litigation goals throughout Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean;
- Writing and publicizing reports, briefing papers, letters, news releases, op-eds, action alerts, campaign materials, and submissions to regional and international bodies, as well as presenting human rights concerns and other advocacy before government officials, opinion leaders, inter-governmental agencies, and in the media;
- Liaising effectively with RFKHR staff and affiliates located in multiple locations throughout the world to ensure effective coordination and collaboration; support other RFKHR staff and affiliates to address advocacy or Asia-related issues in their work;
- Supervising and mentoring incoming legal fellows and interns
- Assisting with the organization’s fundraising efforts;
- Do your part in keeping our operations running smoothly - tracking your hours and submitting timecards in a timely manner;
- Working flexible hours as needed to accommodate developing and urgent events; and
- Carrying out any other duties as required.
- Education: an advanced degree in law, human rights, or a related field and/or extensive advocacy experience in the human rights field is required.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in international social justice advocacy is required.
- Experience designing and running digital campaigns and demonstrated ability to think strategically about the global and local media environments and how to use the media and electronic media to further advocacy goals;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to develop and implement realistic and effective local and international advocacy strategies and tactics in order to identify and seize advocacy opportunities;
- Strong initiative and follow-through, the capacity to think creatively and strategically, and the ability to work quickly and effectively under pressure with a broad range of people and as a part of a team are all required;
- Ability to produce high-quality written material under tight deadlines and excellent editing skills
- Dynamic public speaking ability
- Inclusive and strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively across cultural dynamics within RFKHR as well as with clients, local partners, government officials and external media partners are required;
- Attention to detail, you’re able to scope out errors and willing to fix mistakes;
- Time management, you have the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at once;
- High level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information;
- Teamwork, you are able to build positive relationships with your colleagues and are willing to help others.
Preferred but not required qualifications:
- Experience running advocacy campaigns targeting US foreign policy, international organizations, and/or foreign governments’ policy;
- Experience working with human rights defenders in Asia, as well as general knowledge of the human rights landscape in Asia;
- Knowledge of and experience working in international human rights and familiarity with international human rights law;
- Additional oral and written communication skills in Spanish or French, are a plus.
Benefits and other Perks:
- Medical & Dental, RFK Human Rights covers 100% of individual only medical and dental costs;
- 401(k), automatic contribution of 7% of your salary after your first anniversary;
- College Saveup/Loan PayDown, automatic $100/monthly contribution for any current loans or future loans;
- Cell Phone stipend, monthly reimbursement to offset any cell phone expenses;
- Telecommuting, flexibility to work from home or remotely after your first three months;
- Other fun perks include but are not limited to, staff summer outings, domestic and international staff retreats, galas, and award ceremonies.
How to Apply:
- Submit your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Your Name + Advocacy Officer” in the subject heading.
- In your cover letter please include how you heard about this role and why you are interested in this position.
You are welcomed here...
Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer and believes we are stronger and more effective by working internally and externally with people of all abilities, diverse backgrounds, and a range of perspectives, particularly those who have historically been marginalized or underrepresented. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We do not discriminate in our hiring practices and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seek a diverse applicant pool.